UK RIOTS. WE ACCUSE…
Aug 09, 2011
It’s not rocket science to work out why things are kickin’ off here at the moment. Here’s our checklist of the real criminal activity.
It’s not a complete list so please feel free to add your items using the comments box below.
- Massive closures to Connexions Services and cuts to youth services.
- The destruction of funding to non-governmental organisations who provide support for young people.
- The institutionalised racism that’s led to stop and search and systematic harassment of young people in London for years.
- Police thuggery that’s meant the killing of 330 people in the last 13 years.
- Unemployment rates of 20% plus amongst young people in London.
- Cancellation of EMA.
- The consumerist society that teaches us that if we don’t have desirable things, we are failing.
- The forcing of people onto poverty wages and barely existent benefits.
- The closures of youth centres in Harringey and across the country.
- A world which views violence – often through military action – as a solution to problems that occur.
- Corporations of stealing or looting by dodging taxes,
- The misinformation put out by police in trying to cover up their mistakes and blame others for those mistakes.
- The education policies that mean many people, tested at school time and again, to be labeled as failures before they reach their teenage years.
- Closure of hundreds of Sure Start centres.
- A world that puts profit before people.
- The ever-growing gap between rich and poor.
- The intrusive surveillance and monitoring of young people.
- The demonization of those who do not fit into David Cameron’s ideal of desirable citizens.
- The idea that a better pair of trainers will make you a better person.
- Bankers and bonuses.
- MP’s using tax payers money for their massive expense accounts
- The appalling and corrosive example set by MPs, the mainstream media and celebrities held up as role models.
- Reality TV programmes.
- Intolerance, engendered by authority, of immigrants, BAME communities, working class people and people differing from Tory ideas of normal.
- The lack of social housing and market rents forcing people to live in homes too small for the occupants.
- Selling off/looting our public to services for corporations to make profit.
- Closure of public libraries.
It’s not the crisis it’s the system